Name That Tune

Just for fun, and since I'm dealing with the dreaded writer's block again, I thought I'd put together a little lyrics quiz for everyone. This was inspired by Layla who has a few different music-related blogs. And since I'm just a working-class schlub, your only prize for guessing correctly will be your own smugness. Let's all go by the honor system and not google search the lyrics, ok? Really, I'm impressed enough that you people enjoy my blog, so your musical knowledge couldn't make me love you any more and your lack thereof couldn't make me love you any less. So, on to the game!

I'm breaking this up into decades and levels of difficulty. (Of course, levels of difficulty is a bit subjective, so forgive me if some are ridiculously easy or unbelievably hard.)There will be 3 songs in each level along with a bonus lyric, which means each decade will be represented by 10 songs. There are no limits on genre, although I'll stick mostly to rock and pop rather than busting out some obscure Himalayan mountain chants or something. Good luck, folks!

'70s Music
Level 1
1. If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now/It's just a spring clean for the May queen
2. And so you're back from outer space/I just walked in to find you here with that sad look upon your face
3. Now here I go again, I see the crystal visions/I keep my visions to myself

Level 2
1. If you need me, let me know, gonna be around/If you’ve got no place to go, if you’re feeling down
2. I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
3. Say love ain't the same on the south side of town/You could look but ya ain't gonna find it around

Level 3
1. If I said what’s on my mind, you’d turn and walk away/Disappearing way back in your dreams
2. Well, I have to follow you though you didn't want me to/But that won’t stop my lovin’ you,I can’t stay away
3. Hey you, good lookin’ female/Come here!

Bonus
You’re walking meadows in my mind/Making waves across my time

'80s Music
Level 1
1. Well, dance all night get real loose/You don’t need no bad excuse
2. So why don’t you use it/Try not to bruise it
3. ’Cause I know what it means/To walk along the lonely street of dreams

Level 2
1. And do you feel scared?/I do/But I won’t stop and falter
2. Oh, this empty bed is a night alone/I realized that long ago
3. Eight hours, for what?/Oh, tell me what I got

Level 3
1. Lace and satin pressed against me/Should we call a chaperone?
2. Clear your mind and do your best/To try and wash the palette clean
3. And if the mountain should crumble, or disappear into the sea/Not a tear, no not I

Bonus
I’ve had a bad time, now love is resigned/I’ve been such a fool, I’ve loved and goodbyed

'90s Music
Level 1
1. Bob Marley walkin’ like he talk it/Goodness me can’t you see I’m gonna cough it
2. Take my hand/Off to never never land
3. They said, ’I bet they’ll never make it’/But just look at us holding on

Level 2
1. Well you couldn’t be that man I adored/You don’t seem to know, don’t seem to care what your heart is for
2. Can you see them, out on the porch/But they don’t wave
3. We must engage and rearrange/And turn this planet back to one

Level 3
1. Something’s wrong ’cause my mind is fading/And everywhere I look there’s a dead end waiting
2. Why did you keep the mousetrap?/Why did you keep the dishrack?
3. So here's to the future 'cause we got through the past/I finally found someone that can make me laugh

Bonus
It started back in 1963/His momma wouldn't buy him that new red harmony

Hope you all had fun! I'll post the answers after I feel like enough people had their chance to sumbit their guesses.

Comments

Ken said…
Wow. I suck. All I got were Metallica and Shania (I think.) What does that say about me?
The ones I got I'm ashamed to admit. The others are bothering me. Thanks a lot, Beck!
Serena said…
*blink*blink*
I have been shamed.
Anonymous said…
Jet lagged and couldn't come up with one! and I'm supposed to be good with this.

thanks so much for the Kramer type tour comment--since yes I'd make a great girl Kramer
Jean said…
I recognize the seventies stuff, but couldn't begin to tell you what the names of the songs were....do people actually remember this stuff? Guess thats why I suck at trivial pursuit. Memory flaw.
Lee Ann said…
70's
1. (1)Led Zeppelin, (2)? (can hear it in my head, but not sure), (3)White Snake
2. (1)?, (2)Elton John, (3)Aerosmith
3. (1)Boston, (2)?, (3)?
Bonus - ELO
80's
1. (1)The Cars, (2)?, (3)?
2. (1)?, (2)Def Leppard, (3)?
3. (1)?, (2)Pat Benitar, (3)U2
Bonus - ?
90's
1. (1)Red Hot Chili Peppers, (2)?, (3)?
2. (1)?, (2)Pearl Jam, (3)Lenny Kravitz
3. (1)?, (2)Barenaked Ladies, (3)?
Bonus - ?

Man, I thought I would do better than that!
Bar L. said…
THIS IS GREAT but very tough. I am only going to attempt the 70's for now since that was my era.

I forgot what order they were in but here goes the ones I think I know:

The first one is the most famous r n r song ever. LZ, Stairway.

Stevie Nicks - ?

Elton John - Daniel

Aerosmith - Same old song & Dance

ELO - Strange Magic

Maybe I'll take a look at the 80's
teletart said…
I got The Reflex and the U2 one and some more before my brain got sore, so I tried a new experiment: read all the lyrics as one very long song. It's a pretty trippy exercise, and they actually make a not-bad number. Throw in a few "eagles fly" and "reach my dreams" and you've got an Idol single.
Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog!



I've been thouroughly shamed too.



'80s Music
Level 1
1. Well, dance all night get real loose/You don’t need no bad excuse

Cars


2. So why don’t you use it/Try not to bruise it

The Reflex - Duran Duran



Level 2
1. And do you feel scared?/I do/But I won’t stop and falter

Howard Jones, things can only get better




Level 3

3. And if the mountain should crumble, or disappear into the sea/Not a tear, no not I

U2



'90s Music
Level 1
2. Take my hand/Off to never never land

Metallica?

That's it. I probably would know more if I heard the music. I don't pay much attention to lyrics.
BeckEye said…
Some of you guys aren't doing too bad here! All answers will be revealed on Monday.
Anonymous said…
Super work performed.