The Great T-Shirt Scandal of 2005

The last time Abercrombie and Fitch was the subject of controversy, it was regarding their sexually suggestive Christmas catalogs chock-full of scantily-clad models. This time, they're in trouble over the shirts they're putting on many teen girls' backs.

A whole line of tee-shirts that perfectly conveys the self-absorbtion and Britney Spearsian attitudes of many young girls today is the subject of a recent "girlcott". The group known as The Allegheny County Girls, all from my neck of the woods, believe that the messages emblazoned on the tops are demeaning to women and demanded that the offensive items be pulled from stores. After these little gals from Southwestern PA started getting national media attention, A&F caved to the pressure and has now agreed to stop selling the tees.

I can't really seem to pick a side here. In a way, I agree with the protestors. Mostly because Abercrombie and Fitch's target market is teenagers, and I don't feel that underage girls need to be walking around with shirts that advertise their breasts or how hot they think they are or how much they enjoy parties and sex. But then again, it's really up to parents whether or not they will allow their children to wear those types of clothes. But as we've all seen on countless talk shows, and even in our own local grocery stores, too many parents today give their kids whatever they want, rather than teaching them to be responsible young adults.

On the other hand, I get so sick of all the political correctness in this country that I feel like telling these girls to just not look at the shirts if they don't like them. Or why don't they put all their energy into something creative and possibly profitable by creating their own line of tees? There's always something out there that is going to offend someone. It's easy to be offended. But I'll tell you what, it's just as easy to ignore things that are annoying. You have to pick your battles. Don't sweat the small stuff. I'm sure someone will be offended that I just used two cliches in a row there. Hey, it even bothers me. Rather than dwell on it, I'll just move on to the next paragraph.

Even though I don't have a clear position on this issue, I'm glad that the girlcotters won and I'm glad that A&F had to pull some merchandise. I imagine I'd always side against Abercrombie. Any company who has the audacity to sell a tee-shirt for $25 needs to be knocked down a peg or two.

Comments

Neo said…
Becky - Gotta love it!

With all the problems in the world these people bitch about t-shirts.

Sad....
Anonymous said…
I have to say, I get some pleasure outta A&F having to pull some money makers form their shelves. This is the same company who told a friend of mine she was not offered a job in one of their stores because she could not fit into their clothes. FYI she's a size 10!!!

A3 :)
Ugh - that's totally the wrong message to send to teenagers.

Now if the shirts said something like "I have these, and when you see them, you act like you have no brains," now THAT would be okay...
Bar L. said…
I don't like A&F for the same reason anyon. stated. They only want certain looking people to represent them which is telling 95% of the population that they aren't good looking enough, the right skin color, thin enough...and we have enough problems with teens and low self worth turning to drugs/suicide/run-aways/etc.

As far as being PC - yeah that makes me sick. It's so stupid.
Cooper said…
You absolutely have to look a certain way to work their and their stuff is overpriced. I think that if some yupper is gonna let their kid wear a t - shirt that objectifies women than maybe the parents should be pulled of the shelf. On the other hand at some point in time a least by college what's written on the shirts really don't matter honestly.
My opinion, and I'm not even sure it's what the first person meant is that if people can let genocides go on I don't see them getting a and f to remove a friggin t shirt is any great accomplishment.
Some battles aren’t worth fighting but people fight them because they are too lazy to fight for what really matters.
via BE
Ken said…
Aren't they the same scumbags er, I mean merchants who tried selling thongs for toddlers? I'm no prude, but what is wrong with those people?
I saw a 12-year-old girl (which I know because I looked her up in our library database) with a pair of short shorts emblazoned with "Hottie" in rhinestones across her butt. 12! She showed up with her father, so I can't even assume she's hiding her attire from more responsible parents. Then there are the kids who are 10-16, who list their email addresses in their library card accounts that are "fungirlxxx" and "2hot4u" and "teaserpleaser"... and they're like 14! Plus these are AOL and Yahoo email addresses, so you just know they're chatting using these monikers. Ugh. It's a pedophiles' paradise these days, and the kids are selling it!

Frankly, I think the A&F T-shirts are pathetic, but the kids are wearing, doing and saying a hell of a lot worse than anything the T-shirts could legally print. I am going to get my tubes tied right now.