Do My Tires Make You Horny, Baby?

I had to comment on possibly the most ridiculous commercial I've ever seen...mostly because I've seen it about 10 times in the past couple of weeks.

I'm pretty sure it's for Firestone or Bridgestone. It's for tires. I think it's Firestone because they play that song that goes, "and the wheel goes round and round....". In trying to find info about this commercial, I only discovered that Roseanne Cash sings that song. More trivia for my pea brain. I couldn't find anything about the commercial itself or any screen grabs, which is unfortunate for those of you who haven't actually witnessed it. It really has to be seen to be believed.

It's a tire commercial, ok? There are couples - I think 2 or 3 couples - dancing provocatively in the rain. When the commercial starts, it appears to be for men's cologne or some new nightclub. The hot, wet, good looking couples continue to bump and grind as their clothes cling to their perfect bodies and then...we see the tires. It's a tire commercial. Did I say that? Yeah, it's a tire commercial.

How low have we sunk as a society that it takes sex to sell a necessary component of a car?? Is there anyone driving around out there with no tires, screeching down the highway in a dazzling display of fiery sparks, refusing to invest in tires until the Firestone ad execs come up with saucier promos? What's next? Actors dry-humping to bad R. Kelly songs in an effort to sell home security systems? The Maytag man getting it on with the lonely housewife who spends all day Swiffering? A hot, buff pool boy running in to rescue the lady who fell and can't get up?

Comments

Bar L. said…
Excellent commentary and I agree one million percent. Its getting to the point where this is going to backfire on the companies using sex to sell. I mean come on - are we the only two that have our intelligence insulted buy these stupid commercials? It's pathetic. I am sick of it. Maybe all the creative people are dead now and so those left to write these commercials are incapable of thinking up something new and interesting.
Happy Villain said…
I can't speak for anyone else out there, but I've NEVER walked into a Pep Boys and said, "I HAVE to have Firestone tires -- NOW!"

No! What happens is I walk in and ask them to plug a tire for the third time, they tell me my tires are illegally overworn, and they sell me whatever's on sale. Literally. It's happened the same way twice in the last 5 years.

While I'm sure there are people who shop for their tires like they shop for a car, I'm guessing those research junkies don't really give a damn about a tire commercial. So, as you pointed out, what's the point?

Then again, I think of how boring it would be to be in charge of tire advertising, and maybe they needed to spice up their own jobs a tad bit. Maybe.
Martin said…
I think it's a conspiracy. I think that each of the commercial directors gets paid by the dairy conglomerate to show show sexy scenes that urge more ice cream consumption. Bastards!
The Maytag Man getting it on?

Chicka-wah-wah-wah.

That is Bridgestone by the way, a good tire company that has lost their collective mind.

The typical tactic in the last few years that if the ads don't use sex, they use non-sequitors and surrealistic bits. It's all in an effort to at least get your attention, as well as to get you to unmute your TV.
Les Becker said…
Heartily agree on all points. We generally have to see a stupid commercial several times before we remember what it was for, though, so this kind of campaign may really not work so well for sales.
LoraLoo said…
Marketing has become so outrageous - I agree with what others have said - it's all to get you to remember the commercial, hoping to anchor their product in your mind.

It's all pretty insulting, really. No wonder I'd rather record everything and watch it later, forwarding through the commercials!
mom of 2 said…
Hilarious!!
Anonymous said…
I am an older retired woman, and I LOVE "the wheels go round" commercial... but I want to know who the nice looking black guy is??
morbid princess said…
wow magnificent blog i like it
Anonymous said…
I Love the Bridgestone commercial. No, it doesn't make me want to buy tires, but it does make me wanna get sandwiched between the bimbos dincing in their lingerie.