Forgotten Classic Video(s) of the Week

Looking over that recent list of "the greatest" '80s songs, I wasn't surprised to find "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin. That had to have been one of the most overplayed songs of the decade. And from one its worst, overhyped and inexplicably popular movies - Top Gun. Ick. I thought the song was pretty the first 50 times I heard it, but it was the next 5000 that killed it for me.

It's too bad that Berlin became thought of as a one-hit wonder because of that song. They actually had quite a few hits and a groovy new-wave, synth-pop thing going on. I even have their Greatest Hits CD. I've had "No More Words" going through my head for the last couple of days, but I'm not posting that video here. It's definitely a "classic" but I hardly think it's "forgotten." At least not to anyone who regularly watched MTV in the '80s. It was a staple. Who doesn't remember the Bonnie and Clyde theme, featuring Terri Nunn with her blonde-hair-dipped-in-black-paint 'do? Well, if you don't, you can find the video on YouTube.

In lieu of that, I'll be generous and give you two. The first is "The Metro," which I'm sure will please my friend, Angela, and fulfill the "classic" requirement. The second is a song I've always liked, "Like Flames," which falls more into the "forgotten" category, but features some of Terri's best vocals.

The Metro


Like Flames

Comments

Anonymous said…
I can't believe I am going to admit this in public and target myself for ridicule - but...

I love Top Gun. I loved Tom Cruise.

But I hate that song.
LoraLoo said…
Barbara, I'll back you up on this one... I loved Top Gun too. I saw it on a great first date, so I've anchored it with a good time.

Berlin - I have the greatest hits CD too. I loved them in the 80's, and you're right, they were more than a one hit wonder!