K-Fed Not Even Welcome at Mc-Dees or B-King

Since I'm on kind of a K-Fed roll this week, I will continue to play right into this moron's hands by giving him even more attention.

Remember that Nationwide commercial I said he would be starring in? Well, it seems that there is no special interest group that can't be offended by advertising. The NRA (no, not that one, the National Restaurant Association) is objecting to the insurance company's depiction of K-Fed working in a fast food joint as a fall from grace. I wonder if these restaurant big-wigs would be as upset if the commercial featured anyone but The Sperminator? I think it's 60% him and 40% humorless, PC jackassery.

My favorite quote from the above linked story comes from the President of the NRA, the very un-CharltonHestonlike Steven Anderson, who claims that the ad "would give the impression that working in a restaurant is demeaning and unpleasant." I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Steve-O never really worked in the trenches. If he ever did, then he's been a suit for so long that he's forgotten what it was like to wear an apron. As someone who has tons of restaurant experience, in a variety of roles, I can attest to the fact that it is demeaning. The way other people look down on workers in the service industry makes it that way. The work is not always unpleasant. In fact, I sometimes miss waitressing. Still, it's certainly a lot more taxing than sitting at a desk playing solitaire and shuffling papers around. And when you find out that Solitaire Guy makes double the measly pay you're busting your ass for, that's when you realize that it's time to get on a new career path.

Although I've never worked in fast food, I don't think I need the experience to appreciate what it might be like. I've no doubt that it sucks. A few weeks ago, I saw a guy outside Checkers (awesome fries) standing about 15 feet from the entrance, hitting up people coming out of the drive-thru for money. Here's a guy who would rather stand outside in the cold and beg than just turn, walk through the door, and ask for work. When even panhandlers look down on a job, you know it's gotta be bad.

Anyway, random Restaurant Association guy, forget K-Fed. He can't hurt you. The greatest ambassador of fast food is worshipped by your target audience. That's right, Spongebob has made it cool to wield a spatula and work for pennies a day. It's just too bad that, in real life, most people working at these joints are a lot more like Squidward.

Comments

Classic Post Beckeye...

Thanks for bringing this ridiculous story to our attention.
Arlen said…
Excellent post. You have GREAT wit. Would you like fries with that?