Hey, Hippie, Leave that Cub Alone!

I tried to resist posting on this topic, but those magnificent bastards at Best Week Ever posted such an adorable video, that I couldn't help myself. I, like every other sane person in the world, am totally in love with Knut, the polar bear cub who is being raised by zookeepers in Berlin. There are some animal rights activists who feel that the cub should be killed because he's been "tainted" by human contact and could now never survive in the wild or properly interact with other bears. I understand the reasoning behind this argument, but it's not like Knut is going to be dropped off in the wilderness to fend for himself. He's in a zoo. And more importantly, LOOK AT HIM!! Only a heartless scumbag would want to kill something so adorable. Oh sure, he'd be better off dead rather than be raised by humans...if the humans you're talking about are the kind of jerks that would feel good about killing a baby animal.

Comments

Happy Villain said…
If you think about it, every living thing on this planet has been "tainted" in some way by human beings. Why hasn't anyone pointed out that the folks who want the cub killed have been "tainted" by human interactions too. Shall we off them as well? If they vote yes to off the cub, we should vote yes to off them.

Sorry, I swear I was a polar bear in my past life, and I feel more loyalty to those majestic beasts than people, often.
Of course, we are talking about the most reviled man in Germany since Hitler. I don't think even Ted Nugent would've said something like that.
Anonymous said…
I agree with you! This is the cutest bear I have ever seen. If they kill it, I will hunt them down with my FAL/AR.

Wow - maybe I better not say that, I could have the FBI at my house.

Ok, I won't hunt them down but I will be pissed off and start a campaign against them.
Travis Cody said…
Let me see if I understand this. There are animal rights activists who favor euthanizing an animal?

I appreciate their logic, but if the bear is being raised by zookeepers and will ultimately make its home in a zoo, then I'm all for that.
I didn't get their logic either. It's not like Knut has got to run for leader of the polar bear club or anything like that, he's just got to hang around in a zoo.
This comment has been removed by the author.