Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Forgotten Classic Video of the Week

This week's video probably would've been a good one to post on Halloween but I...uh...forgot all about it, making it an even more perfect entry in my vault of Forgotten Classics! I give you "Stay" by Shakespear's Sister. (They spell Big Bill's name incorrectly, not me.)

This song was the only U.S. hit for Shakespear's Sister, and it actually got quite a bit of play on MTV. It's an odd song with an even odder video, centering around the two gals in the group fighting over a guy. Of course, it's not that simple...the guy is on his way out and one of the girls vying for his attention is actually the Angel of Death. That's ex-Bananarama babe, Siobhan Fahey, as the possibly epileptic, definitely freaky reaper.



I never knew who the other "Sister" was until I looked it up today. Her stage name is Marcella Detroit but, earlier in her career, she went by her birth name, Marcy Levy. I knew that name sounded familiar and, sure enough, it turns out that I do know her. She co-wrote and sang with Eric Clapton on one of my favorite songs, "The Core!" She was actually a band member and writing partner of Clapton's for many years.

Yay...I love when I unexpectedly make musical connections like this. Thank God for YouTube, Allmusic.com and liner notes!

18 comments:

Malcolm: said...

Excellent pull from the vaults Beckeye! This is a song that I never get tired of hearing. When I first saw this video on MTV back in the day, I couldn't believe that the Angel of Death was Siobhan Fahey.

The British comedy duo French and Saunders do a wicked parody of Shakespear's Sister (called Dicken's Daughters). Here is the link for anyone who wants a good laugh:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q8Yje9DOBq4

pistols at dawn said...

They always scared me, because they looked like escaped Robert Palmer girls.

Moxie said...

I don't remember this song or video at all, but I do seem to remember hearing about the group. Very trippy.

Hot Lemon said...

Ooo, to be a tee-shirt on that chest so that I might just touch her face!!

or, something like that. Bardy would've said it better if vids like this were allowed at the Globe.

Suzel's Sass said...

Wow, flashbacks.

Artful Dodger said...

I love Shakespear's Sister. I still have this record. I remember by brother got it for me. And I have the song on my Ipod so I hear it often too. But it's been years since I've seen the video. Kudos Beckeye for bringing back the memories.

Scott said...

I used to think this was one of my hidden treasures from the '90s, but it turns out every freaking person I know loves it. Oh well.

anandamide said...

Another connection: if I'm not mistaken Siobhan Fahey was (is?) married to Dave STewart from the Eurythmics.....

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Are you sure that wasn't a Rocky Horror Picture Show remake?

LoraLoo said...

Wow, I had totally forgotten about this song. Fabulous find!

Writeprocrastinator said...

Marcy Levy sang the hell out of that song and it was more duet, than harmony. I don't know which creeped me out more, the video or the odd lyrics.

Dale said...

This song still plays on my mp3 player as well as a few others of their tunes. I think she was the Dave Stewart wifey as Anandamide said. I remember that send up by F&S too that Malcolm linked to. Excellent fairly not forgotten classic Beckeye.

cube said...

Thanks for reminding me of this, but it does make me wonder how many other weird videos I have totally forgotten over the years.

It's a good thing you're on watch.

I can't believe I had a similar hairdo... Shakespeare's Sis' not the spastic grim reaper's!

malcolm: I've got to thank you for the F&S parody. Priceless!

Johnny Yen said...

How very cool! I loved her vocals on The Core.

Tootsie said...

That was a strange video.

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

eh, they both do a wicked good impersonation of drag queens....

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

and I, seemingly, do a wicked good impersonation of a functionally illiterate person.

An80sNut said...

Great song. I do need to track down that "lost album" that they released recently. It takes an amazing female vocal for me to take notice and the talent is there.

 

Who Does This Broad Think She Is?

My photo
I am a winsome muse who was sent to Earth to inspire an artist to turn a vacant building into the world's coolest disco roller rink. We fell in love along the way, and I foolishly gave up my immortality. When the disco craze ended and all the roller rinks were shut down, that lazy bum wouldn't get a job. We broke up and I was stuck on Earth with nothing to do and no one to inspire. So, now I write a blog.

What Do Others Think of BeckEye?

"You're like an idiot savant of terrible garbage entertainment." - Falwless

"You're my hero." - Candy

"Get yourself a life. Better yet.....eff off." - Ann Onymous

"There's no one like you." - Klaus Meine