Can TV Viewers Go on Strike?

During an Extreme Makeover Home Edition commercial break, I flipped on The Grammys for a second. Why? Why did I do this? No idea. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when Tina Turner was introduced, who came out looking fly in a sexy astronaut costume. After blowing through a medley of "What's Love Got To Do With It" and "Better Be Good To Me," I thought to myself, "Ok, 'Proud Mary' must be up next." I was right, but was suddenly shoved back into Grammy hell when Tina announced that Beyonce would be coming out to sing with her. Arrrrgh. Look, I really have nothing against Beyonce, but to say she's overexposed is a bit of an understatement. It's to the point where I'm worried that the next time I go to the dentist, he's gonna say, "You have a cavity. And now, to help me fill that tooth...here's Beyonce!" I guess you could say that I am officially Beyonced out.

A little while later, I flipped it on again (why??) and they were introducing presenter Keely Smith, who was one half of the first winner for Best Vocal Performance by Duo or Group ("That Old Black Magic" with Louis Prima). I thought, "Oh, this is nice. All of the twentysomethings in the audience probably all got up to go to the bathroom, but what do they know?" So, how did the producers reward Keely for showing up? They forced her to duet with Kid Rock! Arrrrrgh.

I guess the message that the Grammys are sending is, "Old people suck."

Comments

Dale said…
I'm going to laugh all day about your Beyonce dental visit and possibly into tomorrow.

I was shocked that Keely is still alive and mostly coherent but yeah, Kid Rock?

Vince Gill's comment to Kanye was fairly funny too. If you missed it, Kanye had been up there earlier singing his own praises (shocker!) and then Ringo gave Vince an award and he said this.
Claire said…
I didn't see it, but I saw a recap this morning with Alicia Keys doing the "duet" with Sinatra. I had hoped that the duets-with-the-dead trend had long since passed, but obviously not. I used to like Alicia Keys, but she's the one responsible for that "27 Dresses" song, so she's on my bad side right now.
Are you entirely serious about them putting Keely Smith with Squid Cock???
BeckEye said…
BBC - Hmm. We'll see.

Dale - She'll sing, "You must not floss your teeth, you must not floss your teeth." (But I do.)

I did happen to catch Vince Gill and I laughed my ass off. Kanye tried not to look pissed that a pudgy, country white boy just stuck it to him. I stuck around for that category because I was hoping to see Dierks Bentley, but alas, no sign of him.

CDP - Thankfully, I missed that.

WP - I'm totally serious.
You just know Beyonce is going to be wearing her sexy dentist outfit too.

Poor Keely Smith, I hope she didn't catch anything. Louis Prima is not only rolling over, he's clawing through the dirt to get out of his grave and kick some slimeball ass.
Historical Wit said…
What?! The Grammys were last night?
Pezda's Ghost said…
I went on strike years ago. I just can't stand %90 of today's programming. I love the History Channel though.
Les Becker said…
Old people DO suck. Ask me how I know... har har.
Anonymous said…
I'm old.
Metal Mark said…
I think I went on strike against tv ever since Freaks and Geeks was cancelled in 2000. Now I only come back to TV to see football on Sundays.
Matthew said…
I haven't watched an awards show in years. I've just been informed that the Grammys were on during the Simpsons, which would explain why I didn't know it was on last night. I guess I'll have to watch if I'm ever nominated for an award.
The Guv'ner said…
Beyonce makes me growl like a dog (and not in a good way). GRRRR. Having said that, I so want to see any resulting video of Beyonce when she shows up at the dentist to fill that cavity. :) When you punch her lights out I'll totally hold your coat.
and then I ask....how is "radio nowhere" NOT nominated for ALBUM OF THE YEAR?
David Amulet said…
We'll know that Beyonce is truly overexposed when she appears in a commercial with Peyton Manning.
RAHM said…
Instead of Kid Rock I think David L. Roth could sing better and he would be more funny (just like in "I'm just a gigolo")
Vince Gill is now my hero, ha.ha.ha.
Gifted Typist said…
You never know with Beyonce - she could just pop out of that rotten tooth and start her gig in your mouth.
cube said…
Yeah, the Beyonce at the dental office quip will stick with me too. Next time I'm in the chair, I will giggle over it & they'll think me mad and/or over-medicated.

That idiot gasbag Kanye deserved worse.
Funny, we just watched Dream Girls last night.
Again, I have never been so glad I don't turn on that jumping picture box for any reason.
"WP - I'm totally serious."

(shuddering like a caffienated chihuahua)
gennifer6 said…
They gave Herbie Hancock the Record of the Year award, so I guess the Grammys really do like old people. And past performers. Kid Rock probably got the gig with Smith because he's been on the Grammy stage with Sheryl Crow and ZZ Top in prior years. he's almost like a "regular" for America's most prominent music awards.
Ugh...now THAT makes me shudder.