Forgotten Classic Video of the Week

Normally I post these babies mid-week, but because of the American Idol schedule, they'll be a Monday kinda thing for now.

I have been looking for this week's video for a long time now, because I could vividly remember seeing it a bunch of times on MTV, but I've never been able to remember the song title or many of the words. I could only remember this part: "Capitalism, communism, freedom/They're all words do we know what they mean?/It just depends how we use them/If there's a right way it remains to be seen." It always baffled me that I could remember that, but not any other lyrics for all these years. The chorus is as easy as it gets, and it totally slipped my mind!

If that lyrical clue still doesn't help you, I'm talking 'bout what everybody's not talking 'bout, "Let's Talk About It," from Dweezil Zappa's 1986 album, Havin' A Bad Day. This forgotten tune features Dweezil's sis, Moon Unit, on lead vocals and, while she may not be the greatest singer of all-time, I'd much rather hear her sing than whine her way through that annoying "Valley Girl" song. And yes, this is kind of an annoying "message" song, but it has a good beat. Plus, I always had a giant crush on Dweezil, unibrow or no.

There are several celebrity cameos in this clip, including papa Frank Zappa, Robert Wagner, Jane Fonda, Daphne Zuniga, and much to my joy, one of my '80s faves, Charlie Sexton, who shows up around the 2:34 mark. Dweezil may be gellin', but Charlie is gellin' like a felon. Hair that high should be illegal!

There may be more celebs in the video, but I guess the conversion to YouTube killed some of the picture quality, so I can't really tell. The one chick at the beginning talking to Moon Unit looks a bit like Crystal Bernard, and the guy who hands Dweezil his guitar right before the solo could be Ralph Macchio. I don't think that Macchio's that tall, though. Hmm, maybe it's Tim Daly? Or maybe I'm just seeing celebrities where there are none.

Comments

Wow. I don't even think Dweezil remembers this.
escralan said…
Dweezil's touring now with an awsume Zappa tribute band. Saw them on Conan.
Shit, why didn't I think to name my kids Dweezil and Moon Unit?
WendyB said…
You're breaking my heart... I love "Valley Girl"!
Moxie said…
I don't remember this one and I watched my fair share of MTV. Hmm.

I had a huge crush on Dweezil too until I read an interview where he said that brunettes with blue eyes were freaks of nature. Asshole! We are SO broken up!