Dat's Da Name of Dat Tune

UDPATE: The feedback on my lyrics quiz so far has mostly been along the lines of "Waaah, it's too hard!" So, I've decided to make it a little easier on you. Don't say I never did anything for you people.

I'm going to add either the preceding or following line to each set of lyrics to give you all a bit more to work with. In the event that the next line would include the actual song title, I'll just leave little blanks. Now, play and have fun, dammit! The winner gets a BeckEye bobble head doll!*

*Bobble head doll may or may not exist.

It's time for another Pop Eye lyrics quiz!

I'm breaking this up two ways: by decades and levels of difficulty. (Of course, difficulty level is a bit subjective, so forgive me if some are ridiculously easy or unbelievably hard.) There will be 3 songs in each level, so each decade will be represented by 9 songs. There are no limits on genre, but I promise not to include anything weird like those Benedictine Monk chants that were so popular back in the early '90s. (I actually used to have that Chant CD, until it started to scare the shit out of me and I had to get rid of it.)

Each question is worth two points - one for the correct song title and one for the correct artist.

Please submit your answers to me via email, so that everyone has a chance to play. Answers will be posted some time next week, or whenever I get around to it.

Good luck and have fun! All I ask is that you be honest. Do NOT Google these lyrics. Of course, I have no way of policing that, but just know that if you cheat on a trivia quiz, then you're a real turd.

'60s
Level 1
1. I met a gin soaked, bar-room queen in Memphis/She tried to take me upstairs for a ride
2. I'm a-walkin' in the rain/Tears are fallin' and I feel the pain/Wishing you were here by me to end this misery
3. If I should call you up, invest a dime/And you say you belong to me and ease my mind/Imagine how the world could be, so very fine

Level 2
1. I don't know why she's ridin' so high/She ought to think twice, she ought to do right by me/Before she gets to sayin' goodbye/She ought to think twice, she out to do right by me
2. Left alone with just a memory/Life seems dead and so unreal/All that's left is loneliness/There's nothing left to feel
3. I started my life in an old, cold run down tenement slum/My father left, he never even married mom

Level 3
1. Take these eager lips and hold me fast/I'm afraid this kind of joy can't last/How can we keep love alive/How can anything survive
2. You wander around on your own little cloud/When you don't see the why or the wherefore/You walk out on me when we both disagree/'Cause to reason is not what you care for
3. And even if time ain't really on my side/It's one of those days for taking a walk outside/I'm blowing the day to take a walk in the sun/And fall on my face on somebody's new-mown lawn

'70s
Level 1
1. Sittin' here, eatin' my heart out waitin'/Waitin' for some lover to call/Dialed about a thousand numbers lately/Almost rang the phone off the wall
2. Nibblin' on sponge cake/Watchin' the sun bake/All of those tourists covered with oil
3. Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas/You know he knows just exactly what the facts is/He's not gonna let those two escape justice/He makes his living off of the people's taxes

Level 2
1. I was a willow last night in a dream/I bent down over a clear running stream/I sang you the song that I heard up above/And you kept me alive with your sweet flowing love
2. The sun ain't nearly on the rise, and we still got the moon and stars above/Underneath the velvet skies/Love is all that matters, won't you stay with me?
3. Hey, what gives you the right/To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep Mother Nature in/If God was here, He'd tell you to your face/Man you're some kinda sinner

Level 3
1. If you choose to you can live your life alone/Some people choose the city/Some others choose the good old family home/I like living easy without family ties/'Til the whippoorwill of freedom zapped me right between the eyes
2. Some things are better left unsaid/I'm gonna spend my days in bed/I'll walk the streets at night/To be hidden by the city lights
3. There was a time when I was in a hurry as you are/I was like you/There was a day when I just had to tell my point of view/I was like you

'80s
Level 1
1. Strange voices are saying (oh, what did they say?)/Things I can't understand/It's too close for comfort/This heat has got right out of hand
2. At the drive-in, in the old man's Ford/Behind the bushes, until I'm screaming for more
3. They say that the road ain't no place to start a family/Right down the line it's been you and me

Level 2
1. Now he's in control, he is my lover/Nations stand against him, he's your brother/Been a long time, been a long time now/I'll get to you somehow
2. You run, run, run away/It's your heart that you betray/Feeding on your hungry eyes/I bet you're not so civilized
3. I sell the things you need to be/I'm the smiling face on your TV/I'm the ____ __ _____/I exploit you, still you love me/I tell you one and one makes three

Level 3
1. Feel the breeze deep on the inside look you down into your well/If you can you'll see the world in all his fire/Take a chance like all dreamers can't find another way/You don't have to dream it all just live a day
2. Kissing like a bandit stealing time/Underneath a sycamore tree/Cupid by the hour sends valentines/To my sweet lover and me
3. You wish you had a motor boat/To pose around the harbor bar/And when the sun goes off to bed/You hook it up behind the car

'90s
Level 1
1. Freezin', rests his head on a pillow made of concrete again/Oh, feelin' maybe he'll see a little better set a days
2. Oh, once upon a midnight dearie/I woke with something in my head/I couldn't escape the memory of a phone call and of what you said
3. I can feel something inside me say/I really don't think you're strong enough*

*Uh, I can't give any more of this one away. Here's a hint: this singer's voice was auto-tuned out the wazoo.

Level 2
1. But lovers always come and lovers always go/And no one's really sure who's letting go today/Walking away/If we could take the time to lay it on the line/I could rest my head just knowin' that you were mine
2. You seem very well, things look peaceful/I'm not quite as well, I thought you should know/Did you forget about me, Mr. Duplicity?
3. 'Cause you're a human ____/A solar superman/You're an angel with wings afire/A flying giant friction blast

Level 3
1. Can you look out the window without your shadow getting in the way/You're so beautiful with an edge and a charm/But so careful when I'm in your arms
2. I get stoopid, I shoot an arrow like Cupid/I use a word that don't mean nothin' like looptid/I sang on Doowhutchalike and if ya missed it/I'm the one who said just grab 'em in the biscuits
3. Came in from a rainy Thursday on the avenue/Thought I heard you talking softly/I turned on the lights, the tv and the radio/Still I can't escape the ghost of you

Comments

Falwless said…
Oh dear god I am wholly pathetic at this game. I know 4 off the top of of my head. Yes, that's 4 out of, what, 36? What percentage is that, like 81%? I'm bad at math, too. I lose at life.

I'm not even going to bother with the emailing. Just know that I am here, crying.
Whoa. OK. I will so not win this. I know maybe....one? Half of one? Why'd you have to make it so haaaard?
doorknob_dan said…
They're all the lyrics to one song, you sneaky devil: Wishing Well by Terrence Trent D'Arby!
Malcolm said…
Damn, the 90s section of your quiz is kicking my ass all over the place. I'll probably start inflicting some of the kicks myself when you reveal the answers.

I posted about your quiz on my blog, so hopefully I'll send some other victims... er players your way.
Unknown said…
This really ruins my "I know everything about music" delusion!
Red said…
Yeah. These are hard! I only know, like, 2 off the top of my head, but know I really want to email you all the correct answers because I love winning things.
Anonymous said…
I found about your quiz from Malcolm. Unfortunately I only know the 90s answers. But after reading through tons of lyrics I didn't know, I was pleased to see that at least I recognized the music from my teen years. : )
I'll email my answers later today.

www.mamapj.com
Bar L. said…
I am all over this! Will email ya.
Dale said…
I'm dizzy. Just a general statement, nothing to do with your quiz.
Wow, I think I got like 4. I'm not going to win, so I'll ruin it for everyone: all of these are not actual songs, because they weren't recorded by Journey.
Red said…
What does it say that I'm most confident on the '60s? I'm much better with country than pop for the '80s and '90s, and I've got company, but I'll hope to get you an email soon.n
BeckEye said…
Dan - You're about 3% correct.

Pistols - You are incorrect in at least one instance.
Claire said…
I only got about half of these. I have no chance at winning.
Editor said…
Being a 60s and 70s afficianado, I completed those questions and fowarded to you.

I had no chance at the 90s but those don't count anyhow because nothing original has happened in music since the 80s....

Trust me, if you want to stump everyone, place some Neil Diamond or Barry Manilow lyrics in there...
Johnny Yen said…
I got about a half dozen right off the bat, and I'm not even through the seventies. I'll work on this for a day or two.
DONE! And very badly,I might add.
Cup said…
I sent in my guesses.

AND

I pimped this post on my blog. Extra credit, teach?
cube said…
I totally suck at this kind of test. I'm musically-challenged, remember?

Um, maybe one day you will rig up something with math or physics for folks like me...

I can dream, can't I?
dguzman said…
This is an AWESOME quiz -- So many are on the tip of my brain! Gonna take a day and work on it....

(thinking back to lying on my bed, listening to my transistor radio shaped like a ball...)
Sorghum Crow said…
I never knew Boxcar Willy wrote so many songs.
RG said…
They are the one famous one and all the losers by Jimmy Buffett?