Forgotten Classic Video of the Week

This week's video comes to us courtesy of Night Ranger, from their 1985 album, 7 Wishes or, as most people refer to it, the one that doesn't have "Sister Christian" on it. Or, as I refer to it, the one that inflicted "Sentimental Street" on the world. I mean really. "Out on Sentimental Street in the avenuuuuuuues?" What the hell does that even mean? God, I hate that song. Just thinking about it is making me want to go out on 10th Avenuuuuuue and start punching people. I'd better move on.

Night Ranger was still trying to pass itself off as a real rock 'n' roll band in the mid-'80s, even after "Sister Christian" proved that they were really just pop 'n' roll. There were probably a few "rockin'" moments here and there on 7 Wishes, but overall it was the ship that sailed the band right into the sea of adult contemporary mediocrity.

Whether they're rock, pop, or schlock, a lot of people unfairly and innacurately consider Night Ranger a one-hit wonder. Maybe those people smoked a lot of weed in the '80s and can't remember that they hit it big before "Sister Christian" with "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" and "(You Can Still) Rock in America." They continued with a string of hits after also, including "When You Close Your Eyes," "Goodbye," the aforementioned song that makes me want to commit assault, the one from the stupid Michael J. Fox movie that makes me want to commit murder, and this one, "Four in the Morning." I really loved this song when it came out, and adored the video for reasons I can't quite recall looking at it now. It's really pretty ridiculous. I'm sure it had something to do with my small crush on Jack Blades which, I'm happy to say, has since been crushed. I still love that blue jacket he's sporting though. That's kick-ass.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh you just HAD to didn't you.
Dr Zibbs said…
They suck.
Anonymous said…
Night Ranger....their guitar player starred on the "Speak of the Devil" live album Ozzie put out after Randy Rhodes died.
Gifted Typist said…
Loved Sister Christian. IT's one of those things from the 80s I've never quite shaken off.
My high-school rock band played "You Can Still Rock in America." It had some typical Night-Ranger-awesome guitar work that our guy could almost play. But, in the end, he totally sucked & we could never perform that tune live.
Fran said…
The scene in Boogie Nights where Sister Christian is playing is a classic moment for me.

Only that time and only in that context!

Otherwise, no Night Ranger for me!