Flashback Friday

Today, let's have a slice of old Epcot!

My first trip to Disney World was in 1983 (I think...I'm bad with dates, but I'm pretty sure I was 10), which was right after Epcot opened. I remember thinking how lame it was in comparison to the Magic Kingdom. I mean, educational rides?? Boo!!! I wanted to spin around in a teacup! (Apparently, I also wanted to eat my weight in ice cream bars and then barf on the monorail, but that's a story for another time. Or never.)

However, some of the attractions were just too darn cool to not love, regardless of whether or not they were trying to teach me something. One of my favorites was the Universe of Energy. This still exists, but it's been completely revamped and Ellen DeGeneres-ized. The video below shows some stills of the Universe as it was way back when, all set to the groovy, original theme song.



I don't know what made this pop into my head today, but my brother, Mr. Yak, used to sing this song all the time. So, this one's for you, brudder. Now, get cracking on my new blog header!!

Comments

SkylersDad said…
Fabulous. Makes me want to jump up and sing the first 4 bars of every popular song from the era, ala "Up With People"!
Oh, this brings me back! My first trip to Disney World was in 1983, too. I thought Epcot was pretty badass, but I was a nerd. The dinosaurs in that Universe of Energy ride were pretty cool. But The Land was a big snooze. The fucking Land? Who wants to learn about crop rotation on vacation? Hey, I rhymed!
I'm still terrified by the gripping realism of Captain Eo.
Moxie said…
I actually still remember a bit of the song for the Journey into Imagination...there was some Willy Wonka wannabe doing it and Figment was the dragon hanging with him. I should look for that on YouTube.
Did you see us standing with our arms in the air, swaying back and forth? Energy, man.
Evil Genius said…
Maybe I am so depressed because I have never been to "The Happiest Place on Earth." Anyway, we really do live in a universe of energy...Dark Enrgy! Mwah hah ha!