It Might Be Easier at This Point to Just Tell You What Celebs Are Still Alive

We lost two well-known figures over the weekend - on Friday, veteran news anchor Walter Cronkite, and on Sunday, novelist Frank McCourt.

You'd think that the news talkers (as Charlie Kelly calls them) would spend a lot more time honoring the life of a brilliant writer or one of their own. But after the initial slew of nice write-ups and on-air tributes, they've all gone back to business as usual - obsessing over the minutiae of Michael Jackson's life and death. Was he murdered? Will Debbie Rowe get the kids? But Janet wants the kids! Why did Janet's boyfriend dump her in her time of need? Does Michael's mom hate Diana Ross? Well, she wasn't at the memorial! Who's gonna pay for that memorial? Is "Billie Jean" better than "Beat It?" Is Michael like buttah? Let's watch the lost Pepsi commercial footage again! In slow motion this time! Hey, is Tito still alive?

Comments

Gifted Typist said…
What about Paula Abdul?
Red said…
This is why I don't watch the news...they never tell you any real news!
Soda and Candy said…
OMG, I was going to say something like I'd be more interested in hearing about Cronkite than Jackson again, but then I saw my word ver: cryness.

Awww.Your blog is sad!
SkylersDad said…
The hell with all of that stuff, what's going on with Jon and Kate?
Incredible...and not a peep about Shifty Powers
McGone said…
And Adam Yauch from the Beastie Boys has cancer (though it sounds operable). Sweet Fancy Moses, what the hell is happening here?
I'm saddened by the passing of Walter Cronkite more than any of the other famous people who apparently got a group rate on a boat down the Styx this month.

Not only for the man, but for what he represented: Objective news that was trustworthy and that didn't have a slant one way or the other. It died along with him, at least in the USA. Now we have news divisions that are expected to make a profit, and vertically integrated companies headed by men that have a financial interest in the editorial content of the news outlets they own.

I guess it's silly to expect the media to extensively report on the death of a man whose career embarrassingly points out the fundamental and pervasive flaws in the way they do business. But I wish it weren't.
Fancy Schmancy said…
What Words x 3 said, x3.

Altho I was counting on you about Paula.
J.J. in L.A. said…
2009 should be known, forevermore, as the 'Year of the Dead Celebrity' because there won't be any left by 2010.

I got the urge to watch Angela's Ashes, just last night, after having it on my DVR for about a month. Weirdness.

But it gave me relief from newspeople debating if MJ was addicted to drugs. Hmm, that's a headscratcher!
gennifer6 said…
There's no drama in losing McCourt or Cronkite. Had Uncle Walter and Bawbra Walters been messing around this might be a different story.
Happy Villain said…
Amen, Sista. I can't even imagine what celebrity would have to die now to take some attention away from MJ.
Megan said…
I'm with Happy Villain. I don't think I want to know who would have to die to bump MJ off the cover.