The good musical vibes continue this week!
If you haven't already, don't forget to check out the songs from Part I. The mp3s will be gone by Tuesday.
1. "Bootylicious," Destiny's Child - You gotta do much better if you're gonna dance with me tonight/You gotta work your jelly if you're gonna dance with me tonight
People make fun of me all the time for loving this song, but I really don't care. They obviously just can't handle the jelly.
2. "Disco 2000," Pulp - I said let's all meet up in the year 2000/Won't it be strange when we're all fully grown?/Be there at 2 o'clock by the fountain down the road/I never knew that you'd get married/I would be living down here on my own/On that damp and lonely Thursday years ago
I included this in a Sonic Sunday post from last year, but I figured I would re-post it for the benefit of my new readers and also because there is no way I could have left it off a "happy" mix. Even though the song's story is quite bittersweet, the fantastic beat and the "ooh-ooh-oohs" at the end make me feel like dancing for the rest of my life.
3. "Sweet Pea," Tommy Roe - Oh, Sweet Pea, come on and dance with me/Come on come on come on and dance with me/Oh, Sweet Pea, won't you be my girl?/Won't you won't you won't you be my girl?
My love of oldies was born way back when I was about 16 or 17 and started driving. I had to drive my Dad's station wagon, which only had AM radio. It was either talk radio or the oldies station, so oldies always won out. I remember this song as the first one that I really fell in love with, and the one that got me over my teenage disdain for music made before 1970. This is such a fun song, and those drums are killer!
4. "The Book I Write," Spoon - I wanna open this heart, it wants so much to play/But both of us stay on our guard in the same way/And I know, this is the book I write
This was the song that originally got me interested in Spoon. It's on the soundtrack to Stranger Than Fiction, and I came across it kind of randomly while looking up info on that movie online. I ended up not liking the movie all that much, but the song quickly became one of my favorites. It's just a wonderful 2 minute, 15 second blast of pop awesomeness.
5. "We're Going To Be Friends," White Stripes - Fall is here, hear the yell/Back to school, ring the bell/Brand new shoes, walking blues/Climb the fence, books and pens/I can tell that we are gonna be friends
This one is a great song for the beginning of fall, and it's an adorably sweet tune about that excitement of being a little kid, going back to school, and meeting a new friend - maybe even that first puppy love!
All of this great music can be purchased at Amazon:
Dario Lorina-Death Grip Tribulations
1 day ago