Forgotten Classic Video of the Week

This week's video was inspired by Malcolm, who asked a question about Scopitones on his most recent trivia quiz. You should enter, if you haven't already.

So, what's a Scopitone, you ask? Well, here is the answer, direct from the Scopitones website:

"It's a 'Film Jukebox' invented in France in the early 1960s (from surplus World War II airplane parts!) and also the films (the precursors of todays music videos) which played on it."

You can also enlarge the above picture to see all of the Scopitone's features.

After I was sure I guessed Malcolm's question incorrectly, I did a search for Scopitones and not only confirmed my answer was wrong, but also found a treasure trove of old videos I'd never seen. I also decided that I really, really, really want one of those video jukeboxes. REALLY.

Here is one of the funnier vids I found for The Exciters' "Tell Him." Although the song was a huge hit, I doubt many of you have seen this clip. (Unless you have a Scopitone in your home and, in that case, you need to invite me over sometime.) For no reason at all, this video takes place at the zoo, where the ladies (and one very robotic dude) sing to the animals. I've always loved this song, and I think that if these zoo animals could talk they would all agree that it's good enough to eat.

Best part: random bird freakout at 1:57.

Comments

I've always loved this song. I just love this kind of music. But I had never seen this absolutely hilarious video. I wish they'd stop haranguing those poor swans, though.
Scope said…
You had doubts that anything named a "Scopitone" would be anything less than AWESOME?
Ian said…
So that's what The Exciters look like. Now I can sleep a little better at night.
There is so much to love about this video. Firstly, it's a great song, secondly it's a zoo, and thirdly those are killer dresses. They are going way too slow on that merry-go-round thing though.
Penny said…
Odd video. But this song is one of my theme songs. It's so catchy and makes me smile.
Malcolm said…
First, thanks for the blog/trivia quiz plug.

I first saw a clip of "Tell Him" on "America's Top 10" back in the early 80s and I think VH-1 used to show it on "My Generation". I'd love to interview the direction of this Scopitone and ask them why they set it at the zoo!