80 Is The New 30

Hopefully, everyone saw Betty White's hosting stint on Saturday Night Live last weekend. If you didn't, go watch it on Hulu immediately. She (with the help of some of the recent great SNL ladies including Tina Fey, Molly Shannon, and my gal Amy Poehler) totally rocked it. It was one of the funniest episodes of SNL I've seen in a while. At the tender age of 88 (and 1/2), Betty proved to all the disaffected teens out there that old folks aren't to be laughed at; they're to be laughed with. Unless they fall down, and then you shouldn't be laughing at all, jerks.

And now there's another oldster causing a sensation across the pond—and here, thanks to the InterTubes. Janey Cutler, 81, is being hailed as the "new Susan Boyle" after her appearance on Britain's Got Talent, where she wowed the judges and received a standing ovation. (Click the link to see the video; embedding has been disabled. *sad trombone*) Of course, the boobs on The Early Show made fun of her thick Scottish accent and apparent hearing problems when they interviewed her yesterday. So maybe I shouldn't be wagging my finger at the disaffected youth of America, but our moronic, superficial talking heads instead.

Old people are the best. Well, most of them. I have an issue right now with the Young@Heart Chorus. I just checked their tour dates and they're all in New England, New York, and even one date in Canada. Why can't they roll their old bones down to Pittsburgh?? I've been dying to see them for years!

Related: What A Drag It Ain't Gettin' Old

Comments

Claire said…
Excellent post. SNL was hilarious on Saturday. I love Betty White, I always loved the Mary Tyler Moore show and she was great in it. But I was holding my breath a bit because I wasn't sure how she'd do on Saturday. From the first minute, though, she was great.
Red said…
Wizard of Ass!
Anonymous said…
I understood Janey just fine! :)

Man, I did not expect that giant sexy Euro voice to spring out of such an old frail looking chick though. Crazy! She was great.

And Betty? Always awesome. She's just the granny everyone wants really.
Moderator said…
I only watch SNL when Justin Bieber is on.
ÄsK AliCë said…
You Would Grant.

I just teared up watching Janey sing. I mean she's like 3 times my age and ten times more awesome.
SkylersDad said…
Betty was awesome on SNL, she and Kenan Thompson seemed to play off of each other especially well.
Penny said…
Not a fan of Betty White. I think it was her portrayal of "Rose" on Golden Girls that did it. I don't tolerate "stupid" well.
With this said: I did like SNL. I am a loyal SNL fan. I have been watching since 8th grade and I can honestly say I have NEVER missed a show. I liked her episode only because all of my girls came back: Amy, Rachel, Ana, Molly.
(86 Fey..she makes me want to push needles in my eye).