Saturday, May 01, 2010

Forgotten Classic Video of the Week

Before getting to this week's vid, I just wanted to quickly remind everyone that I'm walking in the Komen Race for the Cure next Sunday, so if you would like to sponsor me with a donation, I'd greatly appreciate it! Just click the image in the near sidebar to be magically transported to my donation page. Thank you!

Now, onto the music...

This week's vid is a song that I never liked back in the day by a band I know virtually nothing about, yet it's one that has stuck with me through the years for one reason or another. I'm guessing it was played on MTV a lot and, therefore, got stuck in my brain. Here are The Godfathers with the title track from their 1988 album Birth, School, Work, Death.

For some reason, I had remembered this song as being much faster than it is, almost like a punk/ska song. Not sure why that is. But listening back to it now, I quite like it. I don't know what put me off to it in my younger days. Maybe I was just too into New Wave and hair metal to care about these blokes. Whatever the case, I'm glad I looked them up again.

7 comments:

Cora said...

I have no memory of this one at all. We were like the only family on the block who didn't have MTV *sniffle* so maybe that's why.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I don't remember this one either, but it's a good un. I don't remember much from that decade actually.

Heff said...

You got me. NEVER HEARD IT.

words...words...words... said...

I loved this song! It got a little less cool when Meadow Soprano wore a "Godfathers" t-shirt, though.

Malcolm said...

I never really cared much for this song when it first came out. It sounds better than I remembered it though. What made it stick out for me after all these years is the title and the name of the band.

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

God, you are so good at this. I thought I was the queen of forgotten classics, but I bow down to you. This song was so far back in my brain that I didn't even know I knew it until I was singing along.

elaine said...

I used to have a "mixed tape" VCR cassette of videos that I had recorded off of Mtv 120 minutes. This video was on there. Some jerk swiped it when I was in college. Thanks for the memories of a great song!

 

Who Does This Broad Think She Is?

My photo
I am a winsome muse who was sent to Earth to inspire an artist to turn a vacant building into the world's coolest disco roller rink. We fell in love along the way, and I foolishly gave up my immortality. When the disco craze ended and all the roller rinks were shut down, that lazy bum wouldn't get a job. We broke up and I was stuck on Earth with nothing to do and no one to inspire. So, now I write a blog.

What Do Others Think of BeckEye?

"You're like an idiot savant of terrible garbage entertainment." - Falwless

"You're my hero." - Candy

"Get yourself a life. Better yet.....eff off." - Ann Onymous

"There's no one like you." - Klaus Meine