BeckEye's Not-So-Excellent Adventures in Fashion

Well, here I am sporting the same feathered mullet featured in the first installment of this now recurring fashion feature. This must have been 1985, as the photo was taken in a hotel room in Washington D.C., where my class and I went for our 8th grade trip.

I have no idea where I got that ridiculous hat but I'm sure that when I found it, I was thrilled to death that my ensemble would finally have that extra oomph needed to blind passersby. The white canvas shoes were a staple of my wardrobe back in the day. Since they got dirty so quickly, I used to actually paint them with white shoe polish to keep them dazzling. The Members Only jacket was a piss-poor substitute for the one I really wanted—Simon LeBon's white jacket with the black sleeves, immortalized in "The Reflex" video.

Speaking of Duran Duran, the funniest bit about this photo isn't actually the horrific fashion choices or the ridiculous hair; it's the fact that I couldn't bear sleeping somewhere other than my own bedroom for two days without slapping up at least one John Taylor poster.

Comments

SkylersDad said…
Your friends fashion choice of a large black bar across her face was clearly a call out for help.
Kristen said…
I wondered about the poster as soon as I saw the picture! TOO FUNNY! I never had a hat, so much more fashion forward than me!
Mnmom said…
I cut my hair short in 1982 and thought it very "punk" along with my ripped purple sweatshirt.
Scope said…
Did you raid the snack bar when you were hungry like the wolf?
Heff said…
Hey. That hat would have ROCKED with matching leg warmers....
Cora said…
Mm-hmm. I had to repaint my filthy white canvas shoes with White-Out so my mom wouldn't throw them away. I feel your pain.
Did you actually schlepp the poster to Washington with you?
Zed said…
My 8th grade class went by bus to Washington, D.C., as well. Must have been a NY-NJ thing.

Our big thrill wasn't seeing the national monuments or the Smithsonian, or even the cherry blossoms. No, it was visiting each other in our hotel rooms, restyling each other's hair, calling home, and gossiping.

Oh, the thrill.
BeckEye said…
I think I probably had an issue of "Star Hits" with me on the bus ride there, from which I plucked the John poster. I was the only kid in my school who read "Star Hits" (the US import of UK mag "Smash Hits"), which should have made me cool, but really didn't.
Gwen said…
Had we known each other back the, we'd totally have been besties and made friendship bracelets for each other.
Cormac Brown said…
Why-yyy
Wh-wh-why-yyy
(yeah)


Great, now that song is stuck in my head.